Re: wildcard search

Looks to me like the client asserted a filter which contained
four invalid substrings assertions.  Without details of the
PDU (hexdump of the BER encoded LDAP message), it's hard to
say what exactly the client is doing, but I would guess it
not properly escaping user input when producing the string
representation of the search filter it passes to the LDAP
client library it is calling, resulting in unexpected behavior.
That is, I assume it is treating your "*" input just as it
did "blah", disregarding the fact that "*" is special to the
filter string representation.  That leads to things like
(cn=***), an assertion of two empty ANY substrings.  As
substrings of the Directory String syntax cannot be empty,
each of the assertions is Undefined.