RE: openldap versions and silent exit

--On Wednesday, August 11, 2004 8:29 AM -0400 Rich Graves <rcgraves@brandeis.edu> wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> idlcachesize?  I don't have this anywhere
>
> Backend is BDB 4.2.52.
[...]
idlcachesize might be a 2.2 only option, I'm not sure, I abandoned 2.1 a
while ago.

idlcachesize is specific to bdb (or hdb) backend. It is missing from both slapd.conf.5 and your example at http://www.stanford.edu/services/directory/openldap/configuration/slapd-c onf-replica.html though it does appear in the backend-specific slapd-bdb.5 man page.

Yeah, backend specific settings go in the backend specific man pages.

I just added that option to Stanford's OpenLDAP servers last week, so I haven't gotten around to updating the web page yet. ;)

Setting it does help!!! I'd been satisfied before, but now it's positively
zippy.

Any reason not to set idlcachesize to store all indices in RAM?

As long as you have enough RAM, I don't think so.

Howard gave me a general rule of thumb:

For BDB, idlcachesize should be equal to cachesize in slapd.conf

For HDB, idlcachesize should be 3 times cachesize in slapd.conf.

I'll put that in my page too. ;)

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html