RE: Active Directory passwords on OpenLdap

you cannot get the AD password, but you can set it. You must use an ssl
connection..

some quick excerpt from my process where I generate random passwords
and cram them into AD... because I don't want them to use AD
passwords... they are using the altSecurityIdentity to authenticate to a
different kerb realm..

btw this is totally not related to OpenLdap at this point.. but I
thought I would share.

##Code Sample
use Net::LDAP;
use Net::LDAP::Entry;
use Net::LDAPS;
use MIME::Base64;
use Crypt::RandPasswd;

$BASE = "ou=people,dc=example,dc=com";
$BINDDN = "cn=perlupdate";
$pass = "secret";

$ldap = new Net::LDAPS('adserver.example.com',
        port => '636',
        verify => 'require',
        sslversion => 'sslv3',
        cafile => '/path/to/adserver.cer') or die "$@";
$ldap->bind("$BINDDN,$BASE", password => $pass);

$entry = Net::LDAP::Entry->new;
$entry->dn("cn=$USERNAME,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com");
$entry->add... # lots of these to fill out all attributes for an ad
user.
# ... and if you don't know what attributes are required,
# ... generate an account with the wizard and then export it..
# ...
my $mesg = $entry->update($ldap);  # the user must be created before
setting the password.
# ...
$psswd = Crypt::RandPasswd->chars(8,14);
$encoded = pack "v*", unpack "C*", qq("$psswd");
my $result = $ldap->modify("cn=$USERNAME,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com",
                replace => {unicodePwd => $encoded} );
$ldap->unbind;
#end Code Block

Jonathan Higgins
IT R&D Project Manager
Kennesaw State University
jhiggins@kennesaw.edu

>>> "Thomas Vincent" <tvincent@2wire.com> 8/6/2004 9:59:57 AM >>>

You basically can pull any attribute out of AD but the password. You
need to buy a commercial product to do that. RIght now I am syncing
accounts between AD and OpenLDAP using everything but the password.

Cheers,
Tom