RE: Usernames vs. OU's

Well, that is what I thought, I just wanted to clarify. Do you guys have
many OU's at stanford? And do people just use uid to log in with.

-----Original Message-----
From: Quanah Gibson-Mount [mailto:quanah@stanford.edu]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 11:40 AM
To: Hutchins, Mike; openldap
Subject: Re: Usernames vs. OU's

--On Thursday, August 05, 2004 10:43 AM -0600 "Hutchins, Mike"
<mike.hutchins@amr.net> wrote:

> So, if someone has a uid of bsmith, and their dn is cn=Bill
> Smith,ou=myou,o=myorg
> Will openldap automatically use uid? If it does, I can use a million
> OU's, if not, then if I use OU's won't the users have to use their
> entire DN to login?

I assume they would have a UID attribute in their entry, and when they
logged in, the system doing the lookup would look them up by UID, so
they don't need to know their DN.

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer
ITSS/Shared Services