Heimdal Vs. MIT Round 4

Yesterday, I tested OpenLDAP using Heimdal and OpenLDAP using a 6/24/2004 HEAD checkout of MIT Kerberos (It has mutex protections in place).

Overall, results for MIT Kerberos have improved -- The server never locked up, and it was able to keep a reasonable number of clients going (22).

Heimdal was able to keep 29 without issue.

Underlying software:

Cyrus-SASL 2.1.19 (This release does *not* have mutex protections in.)
BDB 4.2.52 (plus 2 patches)
OpenLDAP 2.2.15
OpenSSL 0.9.7d
libgcc 3.3.1

Results pages:

<http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/openldap/heimdal-results-0-6-1.html>
<http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/openldap/mit-results-20040624.html>

Note the far superior speed performance when using Heimdal. So, although I understand that people often would prefer to have only a single Kerberos to use, if you go with MIT as the underlying Kerberos to build cyrus-sasl against, you are looking at getting 3x+ worse performance than if you went with Heimdal.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer