Re: LDAPv3: The OpenLDAP/Kerberos/SASL soup (was Kerberos and DIGEST-MD5)

Howard Chu wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Wednesday, July 28, 2004 8:05 PM +0200 Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez@opentechnet.com> wrote:

I hope this helps to anyone trying to setup a Kerberos/OpenLDAP/SASL
server.

It probably does for those trying to run a KDC on top of OpenLDAP. It kind of depends on what you want to do. We run an MIT KDC, and use GSSAPI with OpenLDAP just fine. We simply configure PAM to authenticate to the KDC for getting passwords, rather than going through LDAP. It works quite well. We also have SSO throughout the university.

One feature that using pam_ldap in addition to pam_krb5 provides is the opportunity to enforce password policy, and this is most easily manageable when both LDAP and Kerberos are using the same authentication database. That point was raised earlier in the thread but seems to have been omitted from the summary.

Otherwise you're right, there's no pressing need to go this route.

I've been able to enforce password policy just using pam_krb5/mit_krb5, and heimdal seems to be able to do it using the password_quality section in krb5.conf. I know you talked before about password policy enforcement available in CVS, but what does this provide you cannot achieve using the functionalities found in mit or heimdal?