Re: federated directory

>> interesting - I thought multi master was declared dead and impossible to
>> implement with OpenLDAP...
>
> It is; I suggest using the feature to allow simultaneous replication and
> regular write to the same database, keeping the proprietary and the
> shadowed data separated only programmatically, i.e. by means of ACLs and
> "suffix" parameters in the replica directives... i.e.:
>
> "master":
>     - owns "dc=example,dc=com" except the children
>       of "ou=Local,dc=example,dc=com"
>     - the "replica" directive contains the option
>       "suffix=ou=Global,c=example,dc=com" (assuming no changes
>       will take place below it);
>     - ACLs contain the rule
>       access to dn.regex="((.+),)?cn=Slave
> (#[0-9]+),ou=Local,dc=example,dc=com$"
>           by dn.exact,expand="cn=Replicator $3,ou=Local,dc=example,dc=com"
> write
>           by * read
>
> "slave #n":
>     - owns the subtree of "cn=Slave #n,ou=Local,dc=example,dc=com";
>     - replicates the rest;
>     - the "replica" directive contains the option
>       "suffix=cn=Slave #n,ou=Local,dc=example,dc=com";
>     - ACLs contain the rule
>       access to dn.subtree="cn=Slave #n,ou=Local,dc=example,dc=com"
>           by <your access rules>
>       access to dn.regex="((.+),)?cn=Slave
> (#[0-9]+),ou=Local,dc=example,dc=com$"
>           by dn.exact,expand="cn=Replicator $3,ou=Local,dc=example,dc=com"
> write
>           by <your access rules>
>       access to dn.subtree=ou=Global,dc=example,dc=com$"
>           by dn.exact="cn=Global Replicator,ou=Local,dc=example,dc=com"
> write
>           by <your access rules>
>
> Again, this is untested; I might want to test it some time, when I can
> spare a few cycles.

To make the story short: with a few changes, it works with slurpd as well,
exploiting the multimaster mechanism.  Since both slurpd and multimaster
are or will be deprecated, I don't think adding a test is worth the
effort.  I might pack the example files and put them on some ftp, if
there's interest in this solution.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati