Listing rootDse with Perl-Ldap

I am trying to setup an OpenLDAP server with TLS on Solaris 7.

I am setup slapd.conf with TLS settings and my LDAP client too.  Everything
is working fine because I can use the ldapsearch command as will.

I am trying to use Perl scripts to connect to the ldap server and I get the
following error when trying to list the supported extension of the server,
do you have any idea which config is missing in my slapd.conf ?

THE SCRIPT :

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use Net::LDAP;
use Net::LDAP::Constant qw(LDAP_EXTENSION_START_TLS);

print "Before new\n";
$ldap = Net::LDAP->new('ud1981wfx01', port => 636, onerror => undef,
debug=>'8');

print "Before root\n";
$root = $ldap->root_dse();

print "Before supported_ext\n";
if ($root->supported_extension(LDAP_EXTENSION_START_TLS)) {
  # try start_tls now
 print "should start_tls here\n";
}
else {
  print "not working !\n";
}

THE ERROR :

Before new
Before root
Net::LDAP=HASH(0x3ee040) sending:
Before supported_ext
Can't call method "supported_extension" on an undefined value at ./test.pl
line 13, <DATA> line 225.

It seems like root_dse() doesn`t return anything...   because it can't
access the rootdse on the ldap server.

Any idea

- Francois