RE: slapd.conf

I got that bug when adding TLS support.  I'd first comment out the TLS
lines in your slapd.conf file and restart to confirm that is indeed the
issue.

If it did work, then I'm betting your certificate files are screwed up.
I've seen configurations both with and without the Certificate
Authority.  Also the key file MUST be unencrypted.  If I recall the
default is to encrypt--depends on how you're creating them though!.

Hope this helps!

Kevin Williams