Re: Goofy RedHat Problem

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 09:04:19PM +0200, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> even if many distros leave their users out in the rain and save
> money by not providing a smooth upgrade path, debian does try to
> do that. there are attempts to parse the dumped ldif and upgrade
> it to the newer, stricter and more standards-compliant openldap
> 2.1 format, made by the responsible debian maintainers.

And I'm absolutely certain that these same maintainers would *never*
upgrade openldap 2.0 to 2.1 or 2.2 in the same version of the distro.

Upgrading distro A to distro A+1 is one thing: many other packages
get upgraded too. But upgrading just one (important) component inside
distro A is different, as I'm sure everybody is well aware.