Re: Goofy RedHat Problem

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

> action.  That is, the project perspective, 2.0 is
> not supported.  It is officially considered "Historic".
> Given this, it is quite appropriate to advise folks
> using 2.0 to consider upgrading.  Whether they do or
> not is up to them.
>
> However, there are others, including some subscribers to
> this list, who are willing to provide support for 2.0.
> So, from this perspective, 2.0 can still be said to be
> supported by these others.  I would hope that these others,
> in providing support for 2.0, would note that Project no
> longer supports 2.0 and that they should consider upgrading.
> Whether they do or not is up to them.

I might add these comments to the discussion:
o RH 9 is unsupported by Red Hat, a consultant will likely support your RH 9
  install but will also likely request you upgrade to something supported or
  at least current (IE FC 2) as Kurt said above;

o RHEL 2.1 does include openldap 2.0.27 which you can't expect support from
  the openldap group (and this list) but, with a contract you will get all the
  support you need from Red Hat and even without a contract you can submit a
  bugzilla entry and report the issue, this will get the attention of the
  developers and if the bug reported is not a duplicate and is a
  reproducible bug it will get fixed and errata will be issued;

o RHEL 3 is the same as 2.1;

o There are several Red Hat mailing lists that also support issues like
  this, mostly by the community;

o FC2 is community supported, there is bugzilla for this and the community
  suported mailing lists as well.

So, there really is support, I think it was just directed to the wrong group
of individuals.

As to your problem, you would have to change /etc/init.d/ldap to have
	"-u root"
instead of
	"-u ldap"
when slapd is started but this would be bad, you don't want it running as
root.  Better to chown -R ldap.ldap your ldap database files as slapd likely
can't read them.  To check, change loglevel to 255 in
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf and you should get a syslog message stating
"permission denied" or something similar...

I hope this helps.

Regards
James

--
James Bourne, Senior Systems Administrator
Mount Royal College, Calgary, AB, CA

"There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who
understand binary and those who don't."