Re: DirectoryString versus IA5 String

At 08:08 AM 7/5/2004, Rich Graves wrote:
>(I'm using openldap 2.2.14)
>What should I consider when deciding whether to define local attributes as
>SYNTAX Directory String (UTF-8)
>SYNTAX IA5 String
>SYNTAX Numeric String
>SYNTAX Octet String
>SYNTAX Printable String
>Is it correct to think that if I "know" the data is restricted to ASCII,
>then the IA5 string version will perform a little better?

In slapd(8) of today, the amount of work to validate, normalize,
match, or otherwise process IA5 Strings is basically on par
with the amount of work to process UTF-8 Directory Strings
which have been restricted to ASCII characters.  In slapd(8)
of the future (e.g, post implementation of LDAPprep
<draft-ietf-ldapbis-strprep>), this should hold true as well.

Even if there were a difference, I would generally advise against
using a syntax other than Directory String to represent character
data in the directory.  However, as reasons for this are not
specific to OpenLDAP Software, so I won't elaborate more on this