Help with 2.2.13 install on Debian

Hi all, I am trying to install 2.2.13 from scratch on Debian and I'm not having any joy. I am now going through the INSTALL steps one at a time and I'm hoping you can help me.

What should the command read for STEP 3:

3.   Configure the build system

        % [env settings] ./configure [options]

     If all goes well, the configure script with automatically detect

     the appropriate settings.  However, you may need to specify

     options and/or environment variables to obtain desired results.

 because if I don't do anything specific as in rely on the defaults when I try STEP 4:

the result is:

:/usr/local/openldap-2.2.13# make depend

make: *** No rule to make target `depend'.  Stop.

Thank you