problem importing entries.

Hi All,
    We are trying to import about 18,000 entries into openldap using a php
script...  After around 3000 entries or so slapd locks up and can only be
killed with a kill -9, then a db_recover and a restart.  I am assuming
something needs to be tuned properly to get things running smoothly?  Below
is my slapd.conf  Any help is appreciated:

include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/user.schema

pidfile         /usr/local/var/run/slapd.pid
argsfile        /usr/local/var/run/slapd.args

allow bind_v2
sizelimit       unlimited
cachesize       500000
checkpoint      1024 30
database        bdb
suffix          "dc=oxfordnetworks,dc=net"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=oxfordnetworks,dc=net"
# Cleartext passwords, especially for the rootdn, should
# be avoid.  See slappasswd(8) and slapd.conf(5) for details.
# Use of strong authentication encouraged.
rootpw          password
# The database directory MUST exist prior to running slapd AND
# should only be accessible by the slapd and slap tools.
# Mode 700 recommended.
directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-data
# Indices to maintain
index   objectClass,uid,mail,mailAlias,curStatus     eq
access to attr=userPassword
        by dn="cn=Manager,dc=oxfordnetworks,dc=net" write
        by self write
        by * auth
access to *
        by dn="cn=Manager,dc=oxfordnetworks,dc=net" write
        by dn="cn=courier,dc=oxfordnetworks,dc=net" read
        by self read
#       by anonymous read

Jim G