SASL authentication problem

I am running Mandrake 10.0 Official PowerPack and installed the OpenLDAP
RPM.  I then migrated the /etc/passwd file to a LDIF file and "ldapadd"ed
the entries to the LDAP server, however, when I try to ldapsearch for them I
get a "ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such object" error message.  I found
that if I type ldapsearch -ZZZ -b dc=example,dc=com
objectclass=posixaccount, it returns the entries.  So, my conclusion is that
it is a security/authentication problem, but I am not sure where, or how to
fix it.  Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how I should fix it?
Also, if any additional information is needed to assist in helping me solve
the problem, let me know.

Wes Hobbie