Integer syntax and ordering rule in OpenLDAP 2.0.x and 2.1.x

I'm working with an OpenLDAP-based product relying on version 2.0.22 (Globus MDS). For this, I've implemented a schema that uses the following integer definition when needed:

attributetype (
    NAME 'releasebeta'
    EQUALITY integerMatch
    ORDERING caseIgnoreOrderingMatch
    SUBSTR caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch

Since, in OpenLDAP 2.0.x there is no implementation for integerOrderingMatch ordering rule, the Globus proposal is to use the
caseIgnoreOrderingMatch and this seems to work fine.

Now I've to deal with a mixed system where 2.0.x and 2.1.x openldap versions have to coexist. The problem I'm facing is that the integer definition works for the first, but not for the second, therefore I cannot distribute the same schema.

The error that I get when loading the schema in the 2.1.x version is
-> AttributeType inappropriate matching rule: "caseIgnoreOrderingMatch"

If I change the ordering rule to integerOrderingMatch, it works for the second, but not for the first.

My question is:

1. can you recommend any integer definition with ordering support that works for both OpenLDAP 2.0.x and 2.1.x versions?

2. if this is not possible, what does happen if I distribute two different versions for the schema, one for OpenLDAP 2.0.x and another one for OpenLDAP 2.1.x?

3. there is a simple patch for OpenLDAP 2.0.22 that introduces the support for integerOrderingMatch? I guess something from

1. the RFC 2252 defines a set of core attribute syntax and matching
rules, among these for inequality filters like ordering, there is the

it seems that this does not define any matching rules for integers

2. the RFC 3698 introduces the integerOrderingMatch matching rule and
this is implemented in the openldap 2.1.*

Sergio Andreozzi

Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare - CNAF
Viale Berti Pichat, 6/2

Tel +39 051 609 2860
Fax +39 051 609 2746

E-mail : sergio.andreozzi@cnaf.infn.it