Re: need suggestion on indexing big directory

--On Saturday, June 05, 2004 10:23 PM +0200 vadim tarassov <vadim.tarassov@swissonline.ch> wrote:

I have started with DB_CONFIG containing only set_cachesize parameter,
nothing about checkpoints and dbnosync in slapd.conf. I tried ldapadd,

ldapadd is really the wrong way to populate a database. man "slapadd".

to my DB_CONFIG and started to write log files on file system in RAM.
With checkpoint in slapd.conf I made sure that I was not running out of
memory due to log files.

You need to fully configure your DB_CONFIG file.

slapdindex was running rather well first 1 Gb of log files, however it
started to run rather slow afterwards, and I have noticed that db was
writing on disk like crazy, causing again huge iowait.

slapindex is generally worthless for indexing a large data load. Use slapadd.

In particular, read, and *pay attention to the notes*:

You may also find this useful:

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer
ITSS/Shared Services