Error when starting slapd on boot

We have been running openldap 2.2.8  with back-sql and MSSQL for the last month or so.

Recently we rebooted our server and I noticed slapd didn't start, so I found a script and modified it to
start slapd on boot.  To test it I ran ./ldap start

Although it said <OK> slapd didn't start.  So I modified my script to start slapd with -d -1 for debugging.

I can see the following error when I run ./ldap start:

backsql_open_db_conn: SQLConnect() to database "GMTest" as user "sa" failed:
Return code: -1
Native error code: 0
SQL engine state: 08004
backsql_get_db_conn(): could not get connection handle -- returning NULL
backsql_db_open(): connection failed, exiting
backend_startup: bi_db_open(0) failed! (1)
slapd shutdown: initiated
slapd shutdown: freeing system resources.
slapd stopped.
connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

I have ODBCINI and ODBCINSTINI in my environment, what am I missing here?