Faq-O-Matic Example doesn't work "A (nearly) complete Address Boo k example"

I have a working ldap db (lbdm) which works just fine for what I am doing
now.  It is very simplistic, though, and in learning how to do what I want,
I have been looking at some Faq-o-Matic pages, e.g. :
http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/1005.html  This is

I have downloaded the .conf file listed and try to use that as my slapd.conf
file and get an error.

Info as as follows:

Fedora Core 1
openldap-devel-2.1.22-8
openldap-2.1.22-8
openldap-clients-2.1.22-8

The first few lines of the slapd.conf taken from the Address Book Example
are:

# minimal database

database        bdb
suffix          "dc=example,dc=com"
directory       /var/lib/ldap/example.com
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com"
rootpw          secret
index           objectClass     eq

When starting slapd as follows:

slapd -d -1 -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf    (That's -"one" debugging level)

I get:

# slapd -d -1 -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf

@(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.1.22 (Oct 23 2003 10:23:24) $

root@bugs.devel.redhat.com:/usr/src/build/319319-i386/BUILD/openldap-2.1.22/
build-servers/server
s/slapd
daemon_init: <null>
daemon_init: listen on ldap:///
daemon_init: 1 listeners to open...
ldap_url_parse_ext(ldap:///)
daemon: socket() failed errno=97 (Address family not supported by protocol)
daemon: initialized ldap:///
daemon_init: 2 listeners opened
slapd init: initiated server.
slap_sasl_init: initialized!
bdb_initialize: initialize BDB backend
bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.1.25: (December 19, 2002)
reading config file /etc/openldap/slapd.conf
line 2 (database bdb)
bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
line 3 (suffix  "dc=example,dc=com")
>>> dnPrettyNormal: <dc=example,dc=com>
=> ldap_bv2dn(dc=example,dc=com,0)
<= ldap_bv2dn(dc=example,dc=com,0)=0
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 3: suffix DN is invalid

Can someone please let me know what is wrong with the suffic statement?  I
would think this example would work.  And other potions of the documentation
show this type of construction.

Thnaks and regards

Bruce