Accessing slave ldap server

Hello all;

I've configured a master and slave ldap server, and in the
client  I've put the following line in /etc/ldap.conf

## begin
# Your LDAP server. Must be resolvable without using LDAP.
# Multiple hosts may be specified, each separated by a
# space. How long nss_ldap takes to failover depends on
# whether your LDAP client library supports configurable
# network or connect timeouts (see bind_timelimit).
host master slave
##end

But only the first host is reachable in the client. The second
host seems not be reachable by client, even if the slave daemon
is running.

I'd like to know the right configuration in client to reach slave
when master is not running.

Thanks;

Adriano Holanda
University of Sao Paulo