JLDAP, Persistent Search & LDAP Sync Replication

Hi

First, let me say hello as I am new to the list!

I'd like to use some sort of event notification with OpenLDAP. JLDAP provides PersistentSearch but I am not able to use it:

$ java -cp ldap.jar SearchPersist.class localhost "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com" secret "dc=example,dc=com"

Monitoring changes. Enter a 'q' to quit: Persistent search failed.
Error: LDAPException: critical extension is not recognized (12) Unavailable Critical Extension

Does OpenLDAP not implement this or did I miss a configuration step?

Assumed this won't work, am I somehow able to use Sync Replication of OpenLDAP 2.2 with a Java program? If yes, how? I did not understand how to configure Sync Replication (the contextCSN and syncProviderSubentry part) so this might be my first problem :(

It would be superb if someone could provide example code for using Sync Replication as my C knowledge is limited ...

Thank you!

Greetings

Simon