Re: slow search on indexed attribute

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 at 1:06pm, Armbrust, Daniel C. wrote:
It looks like if I do a search for 3 or less characters, it fails to
use the index.

Because the index key length is defined (in slap.h) to be 4
characters.

Is there a discussion someplace about why the number 4 was chosen and the repercussions of choosing a smaller number?

I guess any number would have been too long for someone and too short for someone else. I really cannot find any better explanation.

The I guess my response would have to be that 4 is to long for me, at least by a character. Somebody looking for Roberts, Robards, or Roberson, or ... hey what was that last name again could probably generate a (sn=rob*) query before he's done. The response he would get now for such a filter doesn't seem to do much good for client or server. Linguists may have better guidance, but I know a lot of 3 character word roots.

mi 2c.

Jon Roberts
www.mentata.com