Password Access Control does not work as expected

Hi,

I am putting the following as the first entry in slapd.conf:

access to attr=userPassword
        by group="cn=admin,base_dn" write
        by group="cn=maintainer,base_dn" write
        by self write
        by anonymous auth
        by * none stop

To my surprise the admin and maintainer users are able to _read_ the
userPassword attribute. I expect that users are able to authenticate and to
set the password but nobody is allowed to read the password.

(Tested with multiple versions of OpenLDAP incl. 2.1.12)

Is this a known issue?

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de