RE: server side sorting & paging?

Ok. Thanks very much for clearing that up.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:Kurt@OpenLDAP.org]
Sent: 23 April 2004 16:51
To: Jon Poulton
Cc: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: RE: server side sorting & paging?

At 02:03 AM 4/23/2004, Jon Poulton wrote:
>What bothers me isnt that OpenLdap doesnt support sorting of search
results,
>but that its not even on the roadmap for any future versions.

The roadmap provides an indication of what is reasonable expected
to appear in a future release.  Without knowledge that some
developer is working (or intends to work) on a particular feature,
that feature will not be listed.  The roadmap is not a T0-DO
list.

TO-DO list (http://www.openldap.org/devel/todo.html) does contain:
  Implement LDAP sorted search results control

>Surely server-side sorting of results is quite a high priority requirement?

Maybe for you, but apparently not for some others.

I think this is the real crux of the matter.

You set your priorities, Howard sets his, I set mine, others
set theirs.  (And those who offer other LDAP offerings have
theirs.)

The project priority is to consider and integrate contributions
into a single system to meet the needs of the contributors.

If it wasn't clear before that patches were welcomed when I said
"Feel free to submit a patch", let me now say that patches
are welcomed in this area.

(Additional note:  the fact that there is an RFC, and a Standard
Track RFC to boot, in this area implies that developers working
in this area should consider it before inventing their own
solution.)

Kurt