Re: Antwort: MAC OS X clients and OpenLDAP [Virus checked]

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 denis.havlik@t-mobile.at wrote:

> >I have a strange problem with MAC clients trying to authenticate via
> LDAP.
> >After rebooting MAC it takes some several minutes for the client to be
> able
> >to log in with username and password stored in LDAP.
>
> I have 0 experience with Macs, but I've been trying to use "zeroconf" with
> Mandrake Linux some time ago, and run in a somewhat similar problem. I
> believe Macs use "zeroconf" type of DNS resolution per default.
>
> Make sure your Macs actually use a real DNS server for name resolution,
> and see if the problem goes again.
>
> Obviously I may be completely wrong on this, but it's easy to test...

In some circumstances, the DirectoryService daemon attempts to come up
before the network is available or in a complete state.

The work-around for this is to modify
/etc/mach_init.d/DirectoryService.plist to point to a shell script that
sleeps and then calls /usr/sbin/DirectoryService.

-mab