Re: Rejected NLS in DN

> On tir, 2004-04-13 at 19:16, Dieter Kluenter wrote:
>> So why do the complete
>> > string for 'cn' display completely garbled when I do ldapsearch ?
>>
>> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#utf-8
>>
>> -Dieter
>
> Yes, I know that UTF-8 represents ASCII as one byte and the rest as
> multibyte. Anyway, I had expected that ldapsearch would translate the
> representation and present it in a human-readable format as long as my
> host is configured with $LANG=en_US.UTF8.

ldapsearch is a "dumb" client, what it does is return data in a format
that complies to LDIF and is safe (e.g. doesn't trigger any fancy terminal
feature by streaming out fancy values).  However, the data that 's
returned by slapd is exactly what you expect.  Any other client using the
OpenLDAP client library (or other, I hope) will get the values as you
expect them.  ldapsearch can return the data in the original format on a
file; try playing with -t, or write your own client.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it