ldap_bind: Invalid credentials

Hi,

I've got a problem setting up openldap. I followed the QuickStart Guide
and did it exactly as shown there but I always get the error 49:

Shell:
---
# ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com" -W -f example.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)
---

I'm root user and entered my Unix root password registered in
/etc/shadow.

/etc/openldap/example.ldif:
---
dn: dc=example,dc=com
objectclass: dcObject
objectclass: organization
o: Example Company
dc: example

dn: cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com
objectclass: organizationalRole
cn: Manager

---

/etc/openldap/slapd.conf:
---
include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
pidfile         /usr/var/slapd.pid
argsfile        /usr/var/slapd.args
database bdb
suffix "dc=example,dc=com"