Re: Road Map : improved scalability - EFBIG

Again, more conjecture, with a little background, and something to try...

I've seen similar issues on many products that work across platforms. Because, for instance, Windows NT 4.0 will function on a FAT filesystem, the max file size for many products that support NT 4.0 follows the 2GB filesize limit.

This has the effect of cutting down on support calls, "Why won't this open on my NT box?" Thus this is often by design, as the files that are available on one platform should work on all platforms.

In the case of OpenLDAP specifically, this should not be the case - as OpenLDAP itself doesn't actually deal with the data size (only the size of query input and output). However the slapcat tool (being built with BDB specific capabilities) may do this on purpose.

One thing to try (this works with many zip and tar utilities) is to see if you can PIPE the file through a program that can handle large files. slapcat | gzip

Thank you,
Gary Allen