Road Map : improved scalability - how to proceed ?

Hi.

I just browsed through the openldap roadmap, and noticed that improved
scalability and/or performance is coming up on the horizon sometime soon now
(~3Q2004 ;). I was just wondering, how should we start looking at measuring
and/or improving the scalability of OpenLDAP ? Should we start creating our
own (mini-)benchmarks and scalability tests ? Or should we simply start out
by using something like Mindcraft's DirectoryMark, and see where that leads
us ? Should we do autobuilds regularly, followed by a testbench run and
autopost the results somewhere to see how good we are doing ?

Anyways, any and all ideas are more than welcome here.

Sincerely,

John Smith