basic authentication ...

Title: Message
I have been working with openLDAP for a very short period of time.  The platform is RH9, with the distributed openladap 2.0.7-8 (for business reasons I cannot upgrade).
I have been trying authentication, through the use of ACLs, but I am getting a different behaviour to what I thought I should get.

First of all, I can authenticate to the directory and I can login to systems both through the console and ssh.

I am using JXplorer as a remote client.  The ACLs I use are:

# Default access
#
defaultaccess search

# Simple access control: read only except passwords
#
# User can access and change own password
access to dn=".*,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com" attrs=userPassword
  by self write
  by * auth

# When everything fails, default to read access
access to dn=".*,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com"
   by * read
I can login as a regular use through JXplorer, but I cannot see anything in the directory.  Only the LDAP administrator can see and modify entries.

The logs for authenticating as a user, are as follows, but I do not understand exactly what they are telling me, except that the "auth" rule is used for access and no further authorisation is allowed.  It does not seem that the second ACL is processed.  What am I doing wrong in understanding how the ACL are used/should be used?

# ./start
daemon: socket() failed errno=97 (Address family not supported by protocol)
Global ACL: access to dn.regex=.*,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com
 attrs=userPassword
        by self write (=wrscx)
        by * auth (=x)

Global ACL: access to dn.regex=.*,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com
        by * read (=rscx)

slapd starting
=> access_allowed: auth access to "uid=ds,ou=People,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com" "userPassword" requested
=> dnpat: [1] .*,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com nsub: 0
=> acl_get: [1] matched
=> acl_get: [1] check attr userPassword
<= acl_get: [1] acl uid=ds,ou=People,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com attr: userPassword
=> acl_mask: access to entry "uid=ds,ou=People,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com", attr "userPassword" requested
=> acl_mask: to all values by "", (=n)
<= check a_dn_pat: self
<= check a_dn_pat: *
<= acl_mask: [2] applying auth (=x) (stop)
<= acl_mask: [2] mask: auth (=x)
=> access_allowed: auth access granted by auth (=x)
ber_flush: 14 bytes to sd 7
=> access_allowed: search access to "" "objectClass" requested
=> dnpat: [1] .*,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com nsub: 0
=> dnpat: [2] .*,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com nsub: 0
<= acl_get: done.
=> access_allowed: no more rules
=> access_allowed: search access denied by =n
ber_flush: 14 bytes to sd 7
=> access_allowed: search access to "" "objectClass" requested
=> dnpat: [1] .*,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com nsub: 0
=> dnpat: [2] .*,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com nsub: 0
<= acl_get: done.
=> access_allowed: no more rules
=> access_allowed: search access denied by =n
ber_flush: 14 bytes to sd 7
ber_flush: 14 bytes to sd 7
=> access_allowed: search access to "" "objectClass" requested
=> dnpat: [1] .*,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com nsub: 0
=> dnpat: [2] .*,dc=eastportanalytics,dc=com nsub: 0
<= acl_get: done.
=> access_allowed: no more rules
=> access_allowed: search access denied by =n
ber_flush: 14 bytes to sd 7
ber_flush: 14 bytes to sd 7

Demetrios Sapounas
Solutions Architect