RE: FW: programming using ldap api calls

I think you need to separate protocol design from implementation
specific issues.

In LDAPv3 (as specified today), Kerberos V authentication is
provided through SASL by the SASL "GSSAPI" mechanism
which is, as the name implies, a GSSAPI-based SASL mechanism.

The OpenLDAP LDAP library can be built with support for the
"GSSAPI" mechanism.  That support requires not only Cyrus SASL,
but Cyrus SASL built with its implementation of the SASL
"GSSAPI" mechanism, which in turn requires a GSSAPI and Kerberos
libraries, such as those provided in Heimdal Kerberos.

OpenLDAP LDAP library is designed such that the application can
itself provide the implementation of any SASL mechanism it
desires.  For instance, one can implement their own "EXTERNAL"
mechanism instead of using the implementation provided by
LDAP library through Cyrus SASL.  This is done through use
of ldap_sasl_bind(3) calls.  But whether it makes sense to
do so, especially for complex mechanisms such as "GSSAPI", is
another matter.

Kurt