RE: How the password stored in SASL db can be related to the userPassword attribute of an entry of the directory?

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin22/sasl.html

Quoting from the above page, section 10.2.3:

To use secrets stored in the LDAP directory, place plaintext passwords in the
userPassword attribute. It will be necessary to add an option to slapd.conf
to make sure that passwords changed through LDAP are stored in plaintext:

       password-hash   {CLEARTEXT}

Passwords stored in this way can be managed either with ldappasswd or by
simply modifying the userPassword attribute
<<<

Set the userPassword attribute to the user's password. That's all.

  -- Howard Chu