Re: tree infrastructure and attribute inherit

Hi,

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 16:17, Piotr Wadas wrote:
> I mean an object, which inherits almost all (except dn) its attributes
> from set of other objects - eg. object "myclient1" which inherits
> domainname from dns-domain1, virtual addresses from mail-domain1 and
> so one.
>
> Openldap probably supports inheriting attributes value for objects from
> other objects's attributes, however can someone direct me in appropriate
> way to discover it? :)

AFAIK there is no such thing like attribute value inheritance in OpenLDAP.
Not even single inheritance, let alone multiple inheritance.

What I have seen in some applications is using the hierarchy in the DIT for
single inheritance. I.e. if an attribute that the application wants is not
given in the object itlef, the applications goes up one level and searches
the parent of the original object, ...

For multiple inhericance I could imagine doing it with seeAlso.

But this is all inside the application logic, the server only stores the
information.

CU
PEter
--