RE: Is ->LDAP->SASL->SASLAUTHD->LDAP the only way... further information

Why not read the Admin Guide and see for yourself.
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin22/sasl.html

saslauthd is completely unnecessary when using OpenLDAP as the authoritative
database for authentication.

I'm not sure if mod_auth_ldap for Apache supports LDAP SASL Binds. The code
you need on the web server also depends on what forms of authentication you
plan to support for the actual web pages.

  -- Howard Chu