From: hesmat@future-group.com [mailto:hesmat@future-group.com]
Sent: ??? ????? 30 ??? 2004 16:37
To: jamie.davey@nqe.com
Cc: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: RE: after power failure ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (81)

i have renamed the  database folder and started slapd so i was able to connect to ldap server but seems all the database are vanished
am now trying to get back  my old database from ldif file
with this command  ldapmodify
but i always  get this msg
ldapmodify: update failed: dc=fg,dc=local
ldap_modify: Constraint violation (19)
        additional info: structuralObjectClass: no user modification allowed
i also want to ask what is the way to to recover the database without making/ creating a new database
i have tried db-recover tool and it produce this output which i don't understand
db_recover -cev
db_recover: Finding last valid log LSN: file: 1 offset 28

regards
Hussein Esmat

-
Sounds as though the BDB database didn't appreciate the sudden power
loss! ( I know from bitter experience that it is pretty intolerant
ounder these circumstances ;-))

Berkely comes with a database recovery tool to get this back (check out
their website for details), maybe someone else here can help?

If you're in dire straits (sounds like you might be!) the quick & dirty
method is to rename the database directory (if  you're in doubt the path
to this is stored in your slapd.conf file under the Database directory
directive), and restart slapd. At this point the process will work but
you're directory is obviously empty. You need to restore it from a
recent ldif backup using ldapadd.

Apologies to the more qualified posters for the kluge!

Hopefully this will be helpful.

Jamie

hesmat@future-group.com wrote:

>dear all ,
>
>the server which holds my open ldap was suddenly shutdown due to power failure
>when i bring it back i was not able to connect to ldap server with msg
>ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (81)
>although when using pstree -p i can see slapd process running
>what should i do to fix this error
>
>regards
>
>Hussein Esmat

Finjan Software

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally
privileged. The unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this email or
any information contained within it is strictly prohibited. This also
confirms that Finjan Software's Vital Security for E-Mail has scanned this
message for the presence of known viruses and potentially malicious
code.

Finjan Software - Prevention is the Best Cure!