OpenLDAP-Database Backup Strategies/Software

Since several sysadmins are subscribed here, who uses OpenLDAP on
regular basis, I wanted to know, if there is a known solid hot backup
strategy for the OpenLDAP database. We will use sleepycat DB 4.2 as
DB-Backend. As far, as I understand the sleepycat documentation, a
simple tar of the database-files and logs is prune to error, quiet
understandable since the database might change during the backup.

Is a routinely slapcat to a backup-medium safe enough, or has something
like that several pitfalls, I'm not aware yet?

Any pointer for known functional backupsolutions of the database?

--
Wurstsonderpostenladen
-----------------> JabberID grafzahl@jabber.fsinf.de <------------------