Using SSL with a LDAP client?

Hey all,

Running OpenLDAP 2.1.25 with OpenSSL 0.9.7d on WinXP.

So, I finally got my ldapsearch stuff working over SSL by creating the
ldaprc file in the current directory. This also fixed my issues when
connecting from libldap in my own client app.

The question I have is, how does this client stuff work in the real world?
For example, if I want to query my LDAP server over SSL from Microsoft
Outlook, I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Or when using IE I don't
have to set it up with ldaprc files for each secure connection I want to
make, so there must be some other way for clients to access LDAP servers
over SSL? Or else I'm confused as to what exactly I'm doing...

With my client, it's going to be deployed on customer machines with their
own certificates and their own LDAP servers and I've never heard of having
to setup local config files to use SSL like that. Am I missing something?

Anyone have any tips or experience with this sort of thing?

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated,

-matt