can't add jpegPhoto

Hi,

I'm trying to add several jpegPhotos to existing users my directory but
always get "NOT ASCII (xxx bytes)". My ldif syntax is as follows:

dn: uid=xxx,ou=xxx,dc=xxx,dc=com
changetype: modify
add: jpegPhoto
jpegPhoto:< file:///var/lib/ldap/images/xxx.jpg

I already compared the new jpeg photos to already existing ones, but
apart from the name there's no difference:

works.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01
no-work.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01

Thanks for your help.

--
Nora Bernhard
Systems Administrator - Linux