Re: Confused 'bout diff. between SHA and SSHA

--On Tuesday, March 23, 2004 4:28 PM -0500 Thomas Gagné <tgagne@wideopenwest.com> wrote:

So why do I get a different digest each time I call slappasswd -s secret?
tgagne:/home/tgagne slappasswd -s secret

    gagne:/home/tgagne slappasswd -h '{SSHA}' -s secret
    tgagne:/home/tgagne slappasswd -s secret
    tgagne:/home/tgagne slappasswd -s secret

And what hope is there of supplying the proper password on a subsequent

Usually hashes are constructed using random data at the time. I'd assume you have a different salt each time to construct the HASH. So you get different hashes that will still hash out to the password supplied correctly when you actually bind.

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer
ITSS/TSS/Computing Systems
ITSS/TSS/Infrastructure Operations