RE: Security and bind_anonymous_dn

There's no problem with it if your server allows anonymous access to perform
all the operations those various packages need. But then you could just bind
anonymously with no DN at all and do away with the proxy user entirely.

The reason anonymous_bind_dn is no longer enabled by default is that it
doesn't actually authenticate anything. Many LDAP authentication clients out
there perform an LDAP Simple Bind and assume if it succeeds that the user is
authenticated, without performing any further verification. When you use
anonymous_bind_dn, then any LDAP Simple Bind request with any DN and no
password automatically returns Success, even though the session remains
anonymous/unprivileged. The client would see Success and then allow the user
access to whatever resource was being guarded (PAM->Unix host, maybe a web
server, whatever...)

  -- Howard Chu