problem with slapadd

Dear list,

we are trying to use LDAP for authentication purposes here. Our master runs SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8, the slaves run Red Hat 7.3. We are using OpenLDAP 2.1.25 on them. The slurpd didn't sync the information to the slaves correctly (I'm still investigating), so I try to get a consistent state by using an ldif from the master.

One problem is, that I can't restore the ldif file on the slaves. "slapadd -l ~/backup.ldif -d 256" fails at the first entry with:

---
bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.1.25: (December 19, 2002)
bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
bdb(ou=unix,o=eplus,c=de): unable to join the environment
bdb_db_open: dbenv_open failed: Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
backend_startup: bi_db_open failed! (11)
bdb(ou=unix,o=eplus,c=de): txn_begin interface requires an environment configured for the transaction subsystem
=> bdb_tool_entry_put: txn_begin failed: Invalid argument (22)
slapadd: could not add entry dn="ou=UNIX,o=eplus,c=de" (line=10): txn_begin failed: Invalid argument (22)
bdb(ou=unix,o=eplus,c=de): txn_checkpoint interface requires an environment configured for the transaction subsystem
bdb_db_destroy: txn_checkpoint failed: Invalid argument (22)
---

The ldif file itself seems to be valid. I don't have serveral instances of LDAP trees running. The location of the bdb is writeable. The Versions of BerkleyDB are 4.2.52 on SuSE and 4.1.25 on RedHat. That shouldn't be a problem, because I use ldif files instead of copying the db files, right? I've searched for those error messages but I found only someone who mixed up capital letters in his path an d people recommending upgrading from 2.1.22 to sth. stable.

What's wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Andreas