LDAP alias dereference- confusion

Hello, I'm trying to build a table of aliases that point to entries in a
set of other tables.  I've found a few examples in the mailing list, but I
can't seem to make them work.  I'm currently using OpenLDAP 2.2.6 with
back-bdb.

What I want to do is have a table of entries like:

dn: mail=joeuser@x.y.com,ou=authptr,dc=foo,dc=com
objectClass: alias
objectClass: extensibleObject
mail: joeuser@x.y.com
aliasedObjectName: mail=joeuser@x.y.com,ou=members,dc=x,dc=y,dc=com

and then these entries point to objects in seperate tables like

dn: mail=joeuser@x.y.com,ou=members,dc=x,dc=y,dc=com
userPassword: xyzzy
cn: Joe User
mail: joeuser@x.y.com
objectClass: Member

With the above entries created, if I do

ldapsearch -a never -b ou=authptr,dc=foo,dc=com mail=joeuser@x.y.com

I get back the expected result, the original (nondereferenced) alias.

However, if I do

ldapsearch -a always -b ou=authptr,dc=foo,dc=com mail=joeuser@x.y.com

I get back no results.  I would expect to get back the information from
the dereferenced alias.

Can someone give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong here?  I've started
to peruse the source code, but I haven't yet found out where I'm going
astray.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Kevin

Kevin Hildebrand