OpenLDAP PAM authentication

I'm trying to get authentication to LDAP working on some Linux boxes.

(4) RedHat 8.0 machines
all run OpenLDAP 2.1.23 ldbm backend
1 is master
3 are slaves

I use LDAP for Samba 3.0 authentication on all machines works fine, no
complaints. I want to move authentication and account info to LDAP. I
have it partially working on the master LDAP server. When a user who
doesn't have a local account, but does have a posix account in LDAP,
logs in using SSH, the home directory is created according to what is in
LDAP. This only work on the master.

The other 3 servers this is the response get when trying to logon from

Connection to closed by remote host.
Connection to closed.

If I look at /var/log/secure this is what I get:

Mar 13 11:44:50 hammond2 sshd[13323]: Accepted password for testuser
from port 49207 ssh2
Mar 13 11:44:50 hammond2 sshd[13325]: fatal: PAM session setup
failed[6]: Permission denied

So the password is accepted but that's where it ends.
Config files for slave servers are essentially setup the same as the

Any suggestions on where to look?

Kent L. Nasveschuk <kent@wareham.k12.ma.us>