baffled by active directory

Im not sure exactly what I am looking for here, I do know what I want to get from active directory, but I do not know the information that is needed to get it.

Right now, I am authing users on our web portal using this command

$ldapbind = @ldap_bind($ldapconn, 'OEDOMAIN\\' . $_POST['txtUsername'], $_POST['txtPassword'] );

this works fine. However I seem to get baffled if I want to retrieve their firstname and lastname from active directory using ldap commands....i read a lot about cu,cn,ds,dc, and all these acronyms but im not sure WHERE to get that info, or what to tell our administrator as to what I need or how much of it I need.

Can anyone point me to the "light"

Beriah Dutcher
beriah.dutcher@oppent.org
219.464.9621x205

Disclaimer - 10/14/2003

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the end user.
If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Please delete this email and notify the sender of the error.

Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Opportunity Enterprises, Inc..

Warning: Although Opportunity Enterprises, Inc.  has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email,
the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
(c) 2003 Opportunity Enterprises Inc.