OpenLDAP 2.0 and FreeBSD

Hi,

	I need to run OpenLDAP 2.0x for compatibility reasons.  I'm trying to use
FreeBSD to run my LDAP servers, but they are painfully slow.  It takes about
5 seconds to do a simple search of the database, and the same query on a
less powerful Linux box is nearly instantaneous in its answers.  I've tried
the default ldbm as well as different sleepycat berkeley db versions for the
backend, all with the same results..  Has anyone else seen this?  I am
running FreeBSD 4.9.  Thanks in advance,

Andre