OpenLDAP in the Enterprise: Performance issues, etc.

I'm doing some research to facilitate building an enterprise-level email system, for a VISP-type environment, that would potentiall support 100's of thousands of users (maybe more).

Each user would have at least 5 mailboxes. And for this application, I believe a directory service would come into play.

A few people I've spoken with have expressed concerns about OpenLDAP performace under such high load, opting for MySQL or something else.

I wanted to quantify this and inquire to others out there who may have more experience, perhaps some advice/tips or anecdotes of your own experience in this scenario.

Thanks in advance...