A module that supports ldaps:// authentication from Apache 1.3 to OpenLDAP?

Does such a thing exist, I can't find one for the life of me. I've found plenty that will do ldap://, and one that will do ldaps:// to Netscape SDK but not OpenLDAP. I'm married to Apache 1.3 for now because PHP still does not recommend using Apache 2 + PHP in production. I need some way to avoid sending plain text passwords from the Apache server to the LDAP server. Any ideas?

Fran Fabrizio
Senior Systems Analyst
Department of Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama - Birmingham
(205) 934-0653