Re: slapindex question (was slapcat question)

Howard Chu wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of Tibbetts, Ric

All;
I had a recent situation where the performance of my OpenLDAP
server was
"in the bucket". Searches took far to long (up to 10 minutes), and
logins were painfully slow.
I shut down the server, and ran slapindex last night, and it
cleared the
problems up. So, it would appear that it was just an index issue.

So you used slapindex, but the subject of this email is slapcat. ???

My mistake. The subject should indeed have been slapindex.

So that raises a question:
How often should slapindex be run, to maintain a well
performing database?

For older versions of back-ldbm, where index corruption was a frequent occurrence, running slapindex might help. You never specified which backend you're using.

Usually you only need to run slapindex after changing the indexing
configuration in slapd.conf. When slapd is running, the backends already
maintain whatever indexes were listed in slapd.conf at startup time. If
slapd.conf doesn't change, you never need to run slapindex.

I'm running:

Server:    Solaris 9
OpenLDAP:  2.1.25
DB:   Berkely 4.2.52

And I can see your point on this.
What brought this on was that I had to rebuild the database from an LDIF.
As a backup method, I run slapcat nightly, and backup the resulting ldif.
Following rebuilding everything with "slapadd", the performance was very slow. My appologies for not being clearer on that issue earlier.
So I am left to assume that slapadd does not handle indexing?

Once I ran slapindex, the performance problems were resolved.
If slapd manages the indexing, then this was purely the result of the rebuild.

Thank you for the info.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Check your BDB cache settings.