Da: Medievalist
Data: lunedì 09 febbraio 2004 19.19.43
A: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Oggetto: Re: Slapd stops working after a NOT graceful shutdown

Personally, I'm *glad* OpenLDAP doesn't want to work with a corrupted
database.

Here are two possible solutions to your problem:

1) Every time you modify your LDAP database, make a fresh backup, and build
a new fresh database from the most recent backup every time you boot up.
This
will increase your bootup time and won't address any other problems.

2) Buy an uninteruptible power supply. This will solve other problems you
haven't noticed yet. *nix software is not designed to survive powerfails.

Note, your hardware will eventually burn up from voltage spikes caused by
power
failures if you don't get some kind of power conditioning. So if you think
an
UPS is too expensive, you are probably fooling yourself!

If you have more questions about recovering corrupted databases you need to
ask
the vendors of your database (Red Hat or more likely Sleepycat). Your
OpenLDAP
software appears to be working correctly.

--Charlie