Re: Openlap and BDB updates: update question

Hi Ace, hi list,

On Saturday 07 February 2004 16:56, Ace Suares wrote:
> -  I definetely want to know if BDB is supposed to link statically into
>  openldap.
> -- whether it is or not, is your responsibility, learn about build
> environments or go to sleepycat.

IMO Kurt gave an important hint aobut differences the build environment:
.la files from libraries that openLDAP links with.

A quick google ".la files" gave the following result:

  ... .la files are generated by libtool when it builds so
  that if the files are linked on weird platforms it has all of the
  information required.  However, Linux is not one of these weird
  platforms and bugs in libtool means that .la files cause more breakages
  than they fix a lot of the time.

There is even an answer for a question similar to yours (how to get BDB
dynamically linked instead of statically):

  ...  one solution is to
  simply delete /usr/lib/*.la. Honest.  Just move them to ~/la-files/ if
  you don't trust the system to still work after they have been removed.
  Note that a lot of distributions have started to delete the .la files
  from the packages.

So the changed linking behaviour may ineed be a leftover .la file.

Peter

--
Peter Marschall
eMail: peter@adpm.de